Monday, September 29, 2014

MENSTRUATION AND MENOPAUSE


A woman came to me, she was 52years. This was the conversation we had
Woman: can I be pregnant?
Me: if you still menstruate, certainly
Woman: really? Kai, I haven’t seen my menses for a week now
Me: it could also be menopausal signs but I will suggest a pregnancy test to be sure.
Woman: ah, my daughter is pregnant too, I can’t be pregnant.
Talking to herself: how will I tell my children.
Me: did you have sexual intercourse with your husband since your last menses?
Woman: hmmmmm, just once in the kitchen. Abi, it was just once now.
I couldn’t hold my smile when she gave this response, in my mind I was like “in the kitchen?” at 52, wow, thumbs up.
Well she did both urine and blood pregnancy test and all were negative, she almost danced.
At about 45 years of age many women start experiencing fluctuating menstrual cycle which is due to fluctuating hormones. This is referred to as peri-menopause and it can last for 5 years. Menses can become very heavy or otherwise. It’s better to be prepared always. Menopause is said to have occurred if there is no menstruation in a period of 12months.

Evening primrose is very helpful in balancing the fluctuating hormones at menopause. Exercise like walking, brisk walking, bicycle riding also sports like badminton, table tennis can greatly help. Adding to diet vegetables, fruits, and especially fish (dried fish), snail and reduction of beef and processed food help to stay healthy. Pumpkin seeds (ugwu) and soy beans are of great benefit. Nuts like coconut, cashewnut, boiled groundnut, walnut help provide vital nutrients that help your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment